- Responsable de l’Axe Cancer / Head of the cancer research department, Centre de recherche du CHUM
- Directeur scientifique / Scientific director, Montreal Cancer Institute
- Professeur titulaire/Full professor, Département de Médecine, Faculté de Médecine, Université de Montréal
The objectives of his laboratory over the past ten years have been oriented towards basic and applied research to study the biology of T and B lymphocytes in cancers, to establish a cell therapy program and a clinical immunomonitoring platform. His work focuses on several types of cancers including breast, ovarian, lung, kidney and skin, to study the interactions between tumors and the immune system, and to develop new vaccination systems and immunotherapies, as well as to better understand the side effects of immunotherapies. His strengths in molecular and cellular immunology are also applied to virology and vaccine development, as demonstrated by his projects to understand immune responses to COVID-19.
- Paméla Thébault, Research Associate
- Stéphanie Lepage, Research Assistant
- David Possamaï, Doctoral student
- Mayra Carneiro, Doctoral student
- Molka Gharbi, Master’s student
- Alemtuzumab for Immune-Related Myocarditis Due to PD-1 Therapy.
Esfahani K, Buhlaiga N, Thébault P, Lapointe R, Johnson NA, Miller WH Jr. N Engl J Med. 2019 Jun 13;380(24):2375-2376.
- Failed immune responses across multiple pathologies share pan-tumor and circulating lymphocytic targets. Monette A, Morou A, Al-Banna NA, Rousseau L, Lattouf JB, Rahmati S, Tokar T, Routy JP, Cailhier JF, Kaufmann DE, Jurisica I, Lapointe R. J Clin Invest. 2019 Mar 26;129(6):2463-2479.
- Immune-enrichment of non-small cell lung cancer baseline biopsies for multiplex profiling define prognostic immune checkpoint combinations for patient stratification. Monette A, Bergeron D, Ben Amor A, Meunier L, Caron C, Mes-Masson AM, Kchir N, Hamzaoui K, Jurisica I, Lapointe R.
J Immunother Cancer. 2019 Mar 28;7(1):86.
- Targeting the mTOR pathway uncouples the efficacy and toxicity of PD-1 blockade in renal transplantation. Esfahani K, Al-Aubodah TA, Thebault P, Lapointe R, Hudson M, Johnson NA, Baran D, Bhulaiga N, Takano T, Cailhier JF, Piccirillo CA, Miller WH. Nat Commun. 2019 Oct 17;10(1):4712.
- Peripheral and local predictive immune signatures identified in a phase II trial of ipilimumab with carboplatin/paclitaxel in unresectable stage III or stage IV melanoma. Jamal R, Lapointe R, Cocolakis E, Thébault P, Kazemi S, Friedmann JE, Dionne J, Cailhier JF, Bélanger K, Ayoub JP, Le H, Lambert C, El-Hajjar J, van Kempen LC, Spatz A, Miller WH Jr. J Immunother Cancer. 2017 Nov 21;5(1):83.
Email Address for application
Dr. Lapointe has been a researcher specializing in human tumor immunology since 1997. He received his basic training (B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D.) at Laval University from 1987 to 1997 in microbiology and immunovirology, and then moved to the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) Cancer Institute in the group of Drs. Steven Rosenberg and Patrick Hwu while working on tumor immunology. He was subsequently recruited to the Université de Montréal/CHUM/Institut du cancer de Montréal in 2002, where he is now a full professor.